Tamron has officially announced the 2nd generation telephoto zoom for E-mount, “70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VC VXD G2 (model A065)”, whose development was announced in August.
The 70-180mm F2.8 G2 has evolved further from the large-diameter telephoto zoom “70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD (Model A056)” (hereinafter referred to as Model A056), which has been well received in the market, and is the second generation. It was born as the “G2” model. This model is newly equipped with Tamron's unique image stabilization mechanism VC (Vibration Compensation). It allows for more stable shooting while maintaining the mobility of the smallest and lightest* model in its class. In addition, the optical design has been completely renewed since the first Model A056, achieving uncompromising high image quality throughout the entire zoom range. We have also succeeded in shortening the minimum focusing distance at the wide-angle end from 0.85m on the first model to 0.3m, allowing you to enjoy the unique photographic expressions that can only be achieved with this lens. In addition, the AF drive is equipped with a linear motor focus mechanism VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) that enables high-speed, high-precision AF, making it useful not only for still images but also for video shooting. Furthermore, the 70-180mm F2.8 G2 can be used with Tamron's proprietary software TAMRON Lens Utility TM and TAMRON Lens Utility Mobile TM . This allows you to customize functions to suit various shooting styles, such as still images and videos. The 70-180mm F2.8 G2 also features a lens design that takes operability and scratch resistance into consideration. A lens that combines the mobility and practicality befitting the second-generation G2, leading to a more enjoyable shooting experience with a large-diameter telephoto zoom lens.
- Even though it is equipped with a VC image stabilization mechanism, it is the smallest and lightest in its class with a length of 156.5 mm and a weight of 855 g.The 70-180mm F2.8 G2, like the first Model A056, has been thoroughly designed to be smaller and lighter. By setting the telephoto focal length to 180mm and adopting a full-length variable zoom mechanism, it has achieved the smallest and lightest size in its class, even though it has an aperture of F2.8 and is equipped with a VC image stabilization mechanism. (filter diameter φ67mm, maximum diameter φ83mm, length 156.5mm (at 70mm), weight 855g). This overwhelming mobility provides a good balance with the camera body, making it a lens that allows you to easily enjoy large-diameter telephoto zoom photography.
- Completely redesigned optical design delivers uncompromising optical performance over the entire zoom range of 70-180mmThe lens configuration is 20 elements in 15 groups. We reviewed the optical design from the ground up and created luxurious and appropriately arranged special glass lenses (XLD (eXtra Low Dispersion) lens (1 piece), compound aspherical lens (1 piece), LD (Low Dispersion: abnormally low dispersion) lens (3 pieces). GM (glass molded aspherical) lenses (2 elements) effectively suppress chromatic aberration and other aberrations, delivering uncompromising high resolution performance over the entire zoom range. In addition, by adopting BBAR-G2 (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection Generation 2) coating that suppresses the occurrence of ghost and flare, it is possible to precisely depict the details of the subject even in backlit conditions, giving an overwhelming sense of delineation and clear images. make it possible. The large aperture F2.8 also features beautiful and soft bokeh.
- Equipped with VXD, which achieves high-speed, high-precision AF, and greatly improves tracking of moving objects.The 70-180mm F2.8 G2 is equipped with the linear motor focus mechanism VXD, which was first installed in the original Model A056. While maintaining Tamron's highest level of high-speed, high-precision performance in history, the ability to track moving objects such as sports and vehicles that are often targeted with telephoto zoom lenses has been further improved. Never miss a decisive moment, not only when shooting still images, but also when shooting video. Furthermore, compared to conventional drive systems, linear motors are less prone to vibration during AF operation and are quieter, making them ideal for still image and video shooting in environments where silence is required.
- Equipped with Tamron's original image stabilization mechanism VCThe 70-180mm F2.8 G2 is newly equipped with Tamron's unique image stabilization mechanism VC. It effectively suppresses camera shake that tends to occur during telephoto shooting, moving objects, and close-up photography, enabling stable shooting. Additionally, by suppressing camera shake that tends to occur when handheld shooting in low-light situations such as dimly lit rooms or night scenes, it dramatically increases the freedom of handheld shooting. In addition, by utilizing AI (artificial intelligence) technology at focal lengths of 100mm or less, you can obtain correction effects that are suitable for video shooting.
- Minimum shooting distance: 0.3m at wide-angle end and 0.85m at telephoto endBy optimizing the optical design, we succeeded in shortening the minimum focusing distance at the wide-angle end from 0.85m of the original Model A056 to 0.3m. You can get one step closer to your subject and take advantage of the soft, beautiful bokeh. The maximum image magnification is also extremely high at 1:2.6, allowing you to enjoy creating unique and powerful images that can only be achieved with this lens.
- Compatible with Tamron's proprietary software TAMRON Lens Utility, which expands the possibilities of photo and video shooting.
- Realizes high convenience and operability・Lens design with convenience and operability in mind
・Equipped with focus set button and custom switch
・Equipped with zoom lock mechanism
- Simple drip-proof structure and anti-fouling coat to support comfortable shooting
- Compatible with various camera functions such as “Fast Hybrid AF” and “Eye AF” installed in Sony cameras
- Unified filter diameter φ67mm for full-size mirrorless series
|Focal length||70-180mm <When using a 35mm full-frame mirrorless single-lens camera>|
|Angle of view (diagonal angle of view)||34゜21′- 13゜42′＜When using a 35mm full-frame mirrorless single-lens camera＞|
|Lens configuration||15 groups 20 pieces|
|Minimum shooting distance||0.3m (WIDE) /0.85m (TELE)|
|Maximum shooting magnification||1:2.6 (WIDE) /1:4.7 (TELE)|
|Aperture blade **||9 pieces (circular aperture)|
|Standard accessories||Flower-shaped hood, lens cap|
|Compatible mount||For Sony E mount|